5 Wine Gifts For Christmas Add/Read Comments
Snooth Wine Search:
10 Wine Gifts for Christmas - not the usual 'what wines to have with Christmas dinner', but a selection of recommended wines, books and accessories intended as gifts and presents. In no particular order...
- One of the best food and wine pairings I had this year was Rump and Confit Shoulder of Lamb with Pissaladière, Roast Cherry Tomatoes and meat juices served with two Jaboulet produced Crozes Hermitage reds. Hard to choose between the two so I recommend both - Crozes Hermitage Rouge "Les Jalets" 2005 £10.95 and Crozes Hermitage Rouge "Domaine Thalabert" 2004 £14.95. Both an absolute steal in my book with balance, weight and cool climate Syrah fruit in perfect food-friendly stance. Available from many independents and Liberty Wines.
- Wine with bubbles makes for a superb gift; but try something a little different than a half-priced bottle of champagne from the supermarket. This Franciacorta sparkling was superb when served as an aperitif at an event I attended last Wednesday evening. Franciacorta D.O.C.G. Brut, Millesimato 2003, is a great Italian sparkling wine available from San Lorenzo for £17.86. I have a great recipe for some party nibbles that matched superbly with this wine (will try and get the details posted ot SpittoonExtra as soon as I have had an oppotunity to try making them myself).
- Sherry has been ubiquitous in my kitchen of late, with one rice dish from 1080 Recipes being a particular favourite. There is little in print available on Sherry but The Perfect Marriage: The Art of Matching Food and Sherry Wines from Jerez should be on all wine lovers shelves. Amazon.co.uk have it listed for just £8.44.
- If big, fully extracted, blockbuster Australian wines are on your shopping list you really should investigate the cult Mollydooker wines from the McLaren Vale. They are stunningly well packaged, come with high scores from many a critic and range in price from around £10 up to £50. Available from independents such as Surf4Wine and Cooden Cellars.
- The Vacuvin Rapid Ice Prestige Wine Cooler contains a re-useable removable ice jacket that can chill a whole bottle of wine in as little as five minutes and keep it cold for hours. Works a treat. The black plastic version (pictured) costs just £10.00 although Amazon.co.uk have it for just £6.97. There is a classier stainless steel version available via Amazon.co.uk for just £12.47 (The RRP is £18.50).