For Those Who Don't Tweet - Notes from the South African Mega Tasting Add/Read Comments
Snooth Wine Search:
With limited time the generic tables held the attention; sadly no selection of Blends (Jo, how about this next year?) Cape Blends or otherwise.
Extra details given in brackets. Also restricted myself to the E and F price categories which equate for E to £10-£20/€15-30/US$30-50 and for F to above £20/€30/US$50.
- arrived south africa megatasting going to start on the themed tables i think 10:45 AM Oct 13th from txt
- liking the oak valley chardonnay 08 from elvin, quite classy and elegant 11:02 AM Oct 13th from txt [mistyped Elgin not 'elvin', 13% alcohol, elegance and very precise. Price E].
- winery of good hope 08 chardonnay also impresses. in sub£20 category here excellent balance concentrated finish 11:08 AM Oct 13th from txt [Alcohol 13.5%, Stellenbosch, classy packaging with tapered bottle, available from Les Caves de Pyrene Price E]
- also impressed ~racey oak edge and powerful finish to moreson 06 chard. moreson : sun of the morning 11:18 AM Oct 13th from txt [from Franschhoek, 14% alcohol, orange and pea edge to flavour, long finish. Price E]
- loving the vibrant pea and nettle led kleine zalze family reserve 08 sauvignon 11:24 AM Oct 13th from txt [13.5% alcohol, clean, zippy palate, nice weighty mouthful]
- best sauvignon so far though single vineyard kumkani lanner hill 08 wonderful balance/weight/concentration 11:33 AM Oct 13th from txt [smooth, complex flavours, roasted green peppers, stonking!. Alcohol 13.5% Price E]
- theres some power behind the kleine zalze vineyard selection chenin but 09 vintage = too young 11:43 AM Oct 13th from txt [you can feel the potential! Alcohol 14% Barrel fermented Price D]
- enjoying too the richness to the simonsig chenin avec chene 08 'flamboyant' layered 11:52 AM Oct 13th from txt [Stellenbosch, 14.5% alcohol, tropical fruity richness. Price E]
- wish twitpic worked on this phone. packaging on pink expression 09 unique and elegant label female portrait by iwan labuschagne. wine f ... 12:12 PM Oct 13th from txt [didn't like the aroma much but the palate good with red berries and tropical fruit notes. Price C, a very pale coloured rosé]
- talking of packaging, not sure of gold striped label on escapades pinotage 08; nice sweet fruit led palate good structure 12:23 PM Oct 13th from txt [Stellenbosch,13.5% alcohol]
- some decent complexity to morkel 08 pinotage; baked tomato palate smoky edge to nose, 12:29 PM Oct 13th from txt [Alcohol 13.5%, perhaps overly dry finish, Price D]
- lyngrove platinum 05 shiraz, the colour of mud but retaining a powerful vibrancy on palate. 12:35 PM Oct 13th from txt [Some age, very noticable on the colour but offerng rounded, smooth, deep palate. Alcohol 14.5%. Price E]
- plenty of shiraz ~ kleine zalze family reserve showing v well but why no blends table? 12:41 PM Oct 13th from txt [Price E, also great was herby/minty Kumkani Tripe J Shiraz 06]
- who left their bag propped up against the spittoon. silly silly people,they dont call me dribble for nothing! 12:46 PM Oct 13th from txt
- cloof cruicible shiraz 06 showing great power & concentration. so it should being the most expensive on display £20+ 12:48 PM Oct 13th from txt [Price F,alcohol noticable at 15.5%, plenty of gravelly tannins, blackberry, rosehips, lovely]