For those who don’t follow Spittoon on Twitter (via wine_scribbler
) a recap on the twitter tasting notes sent during the South African Wine Mega Tasting. Held over two days last week the tasting is THE main showcase for the South African wine industry in the UK; noticed that many Europeans were also in attendance…
With limited time the generic tables held the attention; sadly no selection of Blends (Jo, how about this next year?) Cape Blends or otherwise.
Extra details given in brackets. Also restricted myself to the E and F price categories which equate for E to £10-£20/€15-30/US$30-50 and for F to above £20/€30/US$50.
- arrived south africa megatasting going to start on the themed tables i think
10:45 AM Oct 13th from txt
- liking the oak valley chardonnay 08 from elvin, quite classy and elegant
11:02 AM Oct 13th from txt [mistyped Elgin not 'elvin', 13% alcohol, elegance and very precise. Price E].
- winery of good hope 08 chardonnay also impresses. in sub£20 category here excellent balance concentrated finish
11:08 AM Oct 13th from txt [Alcohol 13.5%, Stellenbosch, classy packaging with tapered bottle, available from Les Caves de Pyrene Price E]
- also impressed ~racey oak edge and powerful finish to moreson 06 chard. moreson : sun of the morning
11:18 AM Oct 13th from txt [from Franschhoek, 14% alcohol, orange and pea edge to flavour, long finish. Price E]
- loving the vibrant pea and nettle led kleine zalze family reserve 08 sauvignon
11:24 AM Oct 13th from txt [13.5% alcohol, clean, zippy palate, nice weighty mouthful]
- best sauvignon so far though single vineyard kumkani lanner hill 08 wonderful balance/weight/concentration
11:33 AM Oct 13th from txt [smooth, complex flavours, roasted green peppers, stonking!. Alcohol 13.5% Price E]
- theres some power behind the kleine zalze vineyard selection chenin but 09 vintage = too young
11:43 AM Oct 13th from txt [you can feel the potential! Alcohol 14% Barrel fermented Price D]
- enjoying too the richness to the simonsig chenin avec chene 08 ‘flamboyant’ layered
11:52 AM Oct 13th from txt [Stellenbosch, 14.5% alcohol, tropical fruity richness. Price E]
- wish twitpic worked on this phone. packaging on pink expression 09 unique and elegant label female portrait by iwan labuschagne. wine f …
12:12 PM Oct 13th from txt [didn't like the aroma much but the palate good with red berries and tropical fruit notes. Price C, a very pale coloured rosé]
- talking of packaging, not sure of gold striped label on escapades pinotage 08; nice sweet fruit led palate good structure
12:23 PM Oct 13th from txt [Stellenbosch,13.5% alcohol]
- some decent complexity to morkel 08 pinotage; baked tomato palate smoky edge to nose,
12:29 PM Oct 13th from txt [Alcohol 13.5%, perhaps overly dry finish, Price D]
- lyngrove platinum 05 shiraz, the colour of mud but retaining a powerful vibrancy on palate.
12:35 PM Oct 13th from txt [Some age, very noticable on the colour but offerng rounded, smooth, deep palate. Alcohol 14.5%. Price E]
- plenty of shiraz ~ kleine zalze family reserve showing v well but why no blends table?
12:41 PM Oct 13th from txt [Price E, also great was herby/minty Kumkani Tripe J Shiraz 06]
- who left their bag propped up against the spittoon. silly silly people,they dont call me dribble for nothing!
12:46 PM Oct 13th from txt
- cloof cruicible shiraz 06 showing great power & concentration. so it should being the most expensive on display £20+
12:48 PM Oct 13th from txt [Price F,alcohol noticable at 15.5%, plenty of gravelly tannins, blackberry, rosehips, lovely]
© 2004-2013 Spittoon.biz All Rights Reserved