Harpers Alcohol: Know Your Facts Campaign Add/Read Comments
Snooth Wine Search:
Harpers (which is a well established UK wine industry weekly) has put up a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street website calling on the public and members of the drinks industry to lobby the Prime Minister directly on the issue to ensure future legislation does not punish the majority of people who drink responsibly.
You can add your support to this vital issue by signing up to the petition (If of course you are a UK resident).
You can also get your local MP involved by signing an open letter calling on them to raise the real facts about alcohol in any debates in the House of Commons.
Your support can make a difference and it is vital we ensure the real facts are heard and understood by our politicians."
- Average alcohol consumption in the UK is falling • Per capita alcohol consumption has been falling since 2003 • The UK ranks 13th out of 27 in the EU league table of per capita alcohol consumption
- The numbers drinking over the recommended weekly guidelines fell between 2000 and 2006 o Men - down from 29% to 23% o Women - down from 17% to 12% • In the UK 7% of the population drink 33% of the alcohol
- Underage drinking is down from 26% of 11-15 year olds in 2001 to 21% in 2006 • The numbers of 11-15 year olds who have never drunk alcohol are increasing: o 2000 - 40% o 2006 - 46%
- Number of people reporting binge drinking (over 8 units) on at least one day in previous week is down: o Men - 2003/4 - 23% 2006 - 18% o Women - 2003/4 - 9% 2006 - 8%
- The laws we have to tackle alcohol misuse are not being enforced • Just 2 people have been prosecuted and one found guilty of selling alcohol to a drunken person since the 2003 Licensing Act was introduced
Previous Post: Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc, 2005, Napa Valley, California Next Post: Photo Atlas of Spain´s Wine Culture