Indeed there were many wines that looked good but just didn’t stand out on tasting. Some were good, some I thought lacking. I am also positive that there were many wines I didn’t get to sample that might have tasted fantastic but were let down by uninspiring packaging. No sparkling wines in the list either. None were open for some reason.
The price indication was taken from the data sheet displayed with each wine. As an indication €€€€€ equates to around £30 a bottle. Price wasn’t a factor in listing the wines here. While several of these are the producers premier wines, based on their quality it might be worth looking into other their other wines. The Wine Society for example lists two wines from Chateau Sainte Eulalie £7.75 and £12.50.
The List: Twelve Fantastic Wines from the South of France
In no particular order:
- Mas Gabinele Rarissime Prieure Saint Sever, Faugeres (Syrah, Grenache) €€€€€
- Domaine La Louviere L’Empereur, Malepere, (Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec) €€€€€ £30 Smiling Grape Company
- Domaine Val De Ray Des Gouttes d’Or, Cotes du Roussillon (Grenache Blanc, Vermentino) €€€
- Chateau Ricardelle Vignelacroix Rose, Languedoc (Syrah, Grenache, Cinsault) €€€
- Les Vins Alexander Krossa, Alignan du Vent 1936 Blanc, Cotes de Thongue (Sauvignon) €€
- Domaine Riere Cadene, Jean Riere, Cotes du Roussillon (Syrah, Grenache) €€€
- Prieure Saint Sever Mas Gabinelle Grenache Gris, Pays d’Herault (Grenache Gris) €€€€
- Soleil Blanc de Lauriga, Cotes du Roussillon, Cotes du Roussillon (Grenache, Macabeu) €€ £10 Mumbles Fine Wines
- Domaine Jean Louis Vera Cailloux, Cotes Catalanes (Grenache) €€€
- Chateau Sainte Eulalie Grand Vin Minervois La Liviniere (Carignan, Grenache, Syrah) €€€€€
- Chateau Ollieux Romanis Cuvee Or, Corbieres (Carignan, Grenache, Mourvedre, Syrah) €€€€€
- Domaine de Vezian Pudique, Cotes Catalanes, (Sauvignon, Grenache Blanc) €€€€
Photo Gallery: Twelve Fantastic Wines from the South of France
All the wines in this list were tasted at Vinisud 2017, a trade show in Montpellier, France.